- It dramatically cuts costs. A single standard tier hosting plan lets you host up to 500 web-sites along with Auto-scale, traffic management, backup, staging and Web Jobs features at no additional cost. Smaller/less-sophisticated web applications can be hosted in the new “Basic tier” option at 25% lesser cost. Scott Hanselman hosted a two day Virtual Conference for $10 back in April 2013.
- It lets you scale up or down dynamically. Web Sites can also auto-scale either on a schedule or based on load.
- Web-based Management portal makes it easy to make your website interact with other Azure services - all at one place.
- You can setup Azure Traffic Manager to route customers in Europe to a European instance of your app, and customers in North America to a US instance of your app
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery can be implemented
- SSL enabling an Azure Web Site is easier and cheaper. It is now possible to use 5 SNI based SSL certificates and 1 IP based SSL certificate with each standard tier web site hosting plan at no additional charge.
- Sites can be managed from the PowerShell command line
- Logging done from within your application code (e.g. log4net) or by IIS host can be persisted as blobs.
- First class support is available for building web applications and sites using .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and Java.
- Windows Azure Web Sites provides a multitude of deployment options - FTP and Web Deploy publishing, integrated publishing using GitHub.com, CodePlex.com, and BitBucket, copying files into a local DropBox.
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) for Basic and Standard Tier Web Sites guarantees a 99.9% monthly availability.
- Scheduled tasks related to a website can use the Scheduler and WebJobs features.
- Real stories of site migration to Windows Azure Web Sites
- Channel 9 Microsoft Azure Web Sites Tutorials
- Domain names used by Microsoft Azure services
- List of Microsoft Azure Services available from the Management Portal